• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jpooda

jpooda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

I was just clicking through the forums and realized that there was no posts on your feedback forum, so I decided to change that. Well first of all, I love your website and your catalog of products. Your extremely fast at shipping and compared to Adafruit, you were one day faster then them. I found FoxyTronics through Chief Delphi a while back, since I am on FIRST robotics, like you were. (team 1986 to be exact) So I am a permanent customer for you and I will always comeback if your catalog has the product i'm looking for. One thing though, I ordered an arduino from you a while ago, and it was a legit arduino. When I ordered another one a month ago, I realized you switched to an off-brand arduino, will you ever switch back? All in all, love your business and keep up on adding to your catalog!

~Jay Urban

#2 Nathan House

Nathan House

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 122 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

I was just clicking through the forums and realized that there was no posts on your feedback forum, so I decided to change that. Well first of all, I love your website and your catalog of products. Your extremely fast at shipping and compared to Adafruit, you were one day faster then them. I found FoxyTronics through Chief Delphi a while back, since I am on FIRST robotics, like you were. (team 1986 to be exact) So I am a permanent customer for you and I will always comeback if your catalog has the product i'm looking for. One thing though, I ordered an arduino from you a while ago, and it was a legit arduino. When I ordered another one a month ago, I realized you switched to an off-brand arduino, will you ever switch back? All in all, love your business and keep up on adding to your catalog!

~Jay Urban

Hi Jay, thanks for your feedback! Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, I just recently created this feedback forum and I forgot to "subscribe" to it, so I didn't get a notification when you posted..

That's great that you were on a FIRST robotics team! I was on team 1501 in Indiana for two years and it made a huge impact on me. I'll always be indebted to the engineers who took the time to mentor me.

The Arduino you ordered was Arduino-compatible (the product title was "Arduino-Compatible UNO R3") and not an "official" Arduino, hence why it was so much cheaper than the "official" boards. I didn't realize there was any confusion that it was a "clone," or realize that it in all likelihood violated the Arduino trademark, until someone started a topic on the Arduino forums. Once I realized the potential for confusion and possible trademark issue, I gave away the Arduinos I had for free and switched to the "Funduino" boards, which prevents any confusion and resolves potential trademark issues.

The Arduino boards are open source and so the "clones" are identical, but aren't "official." I have looked into buying the "official" boards several times, both from the Arduino store in Italy and from Sparkfun in the U.S., but because I can't afford to place a huge order (think tens of thousands of dollars), I wouldn't be able to sell them for the standard $29.95 without actually losing money. It also bothers me how much the Arduino store and Sparkfun mark up the boards they make, so really I think it's better for the end users to buy unofficial boards, pay half the price (or in the case of the Mega 2650, about a third of the price, I think), and get the exact same thing.

With that said, if you feel slighted in any way (since you thought you purchased an "official" board and it wasn't), I would be happy to give you a refund for the Arduino you purchased, as the board looked like the "official" one and thus caused confusion.

#3 jpooda

jpooda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

With that said, if you feel slighted in any way (since you thought you purchased an "official" board and it wasn't), I would be happy to give you a refund for the Arduino you purchased, as the board looked like the "official" one and thus caused confusion.

Oh no, not at all. I knew that the clones where 100% identical and am more than happy paying half the price for the same circuit. Although I didn't know the first Arduinos you had weren't official, I was satisfied with your low price. Thank you. 

~Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users